What are BB and CC creams
Simply put, BB creams (blemish balms or beauty balms) and CC creams (colour correctors or complexion correctors) are one part make-up and one part moisturiser. When comparing the two, a BB cream is essentially a tinted moisturiser that helps cover certain skin imperfections and hydrates your skin, while a CC cream reduces the appearance of imperfections and uneven skin tone. BB creams give you a lighter coverage than a foundation, but they’re great at evening out your skin tone and hydrating your skin. A CC cream offers slightly more coverage (although that can highly differ by shade and brand) and could be an excellent choice for those with enlarged pores, or uneven skin texture.
When to use a BB cream or a CC cream
Here are a few examples of when you might opt for a BB cream or a CC cream:
Morning rush. No time to put on a full face of make-up? No worries! Depending on your make-up preferences you might be able to just use a BB cream or CC cream, so you’re ready to go and show off your natural glow.
Travel. It’s always a hassle deciding what to take with you. What if you want to spend the day at the beach but transition effortlessly to dinner? BB creams and CC creams are a great choice when you just want a little light coverage without the hassle of a full made-up look.
The “no make-up” make-up look. Popping on a little BB or CC cream can cover minor skin imperfections, like uneven skin tone or redness, for that beautifully natural, no make-up look.
Avoiding irritation. Sometimes you may want to give your skin a break without forgoing some light coverage. For those days when you want to go make-up free or when your skin is breaking out, a BB cream or CC cream is the perfect compromise. These creams can give you just enough coverage while still letting your skin breathe.
Wondering whether a BB or a CC cream is best for you? Discover more about the differences between BB creams and CC creams.
How to use a BB cream or a CC cream
Here’s our step-by-step guide for the best results whether you’re applying a BB cream or a CC cream:
1. Match your skin tone. One of the most important things is to buy a BB or CC cream that’s closest to your natural skin tone, and test the product on a testing strip and in different lights, if possible.
2. Test if possible. If you can, test the product on a testing strip. Try to tap a small amount on the strip and then hold it next to your face to check if it’s close enough to your skin tone in colour. It’s also a great idea to check it in different lights, if possible.
3. Use a small amount. No need to go overboard with either BB or CC creams, a smaller amount will typically do. Pump it on the back of your hand to control the amount you need.
4. Use the 5-dot technique. Use your middle or ring finger to put five little dots of cream on your face – on your chin, on your nose, on your forehead and on your cheeks. Distribute them evenly when you apply them, so the five dots should be about the same size. No need to smear them just yet, that’s coming up next.
5. Blend in the cream. If you’re a pro, gently and evenly blend it into your skin all over your face, using your fingertips, a brush, or a make-up sponge. If you’re not as experienced, just dab a small amount on your cheeks, nose, forehead and chin, then pat the cream into place.
6. Protect your eyes. Make sure you don’t rub or pull on the skin of the delicate eye area when applying the cream as this can lead to fine lines.
7. Check the results. Have a look in the mirror and see if you’ve reached the desired outcome. If not, feel free to add a little more, or put any make-up over it for some further highlighting or concealing.
Olay’s BB and CC creams
There are loads of BB and CC creams to choose from and sometimes it can be hard to figure out which one is best for your needs and skin tone. Luckily, the shades of BB and CC creams are fairly forgiving, but it’s best to start with the one that’s closest to your skin tone. That said, it’s time for us to give you a tour of Olay’s range of BB and CC creams:
Olay Regenerist CC cream is available in three shades, fair, medium and dark. It’s a powerful mixture of Sheer foundation to even your complexion, a moisturiser with SPF 15 for hydration and UVA/UVB protection and an anti-ageing serum to effectively reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
Olay Total Effects BB Cream comes in two shades: fair and medium. They both instantly even out your complexion with a touch of foundation as well as nourishing and protecting your skin to deliver 7 benefits in 1: hydrating, boosting glow, evening skin tone, minimising pores visibly, smoothing and plumping, reducing fine lines and wrinkles and protecting from environmental factors such as UVA/UVB rays with its SPF 15 protection.
Olay Total Effects CC Cream is available in two shades, fair to medium and medium to dark. It boasts the same skin benefits as Olay’s BB creams, but contains 50 percent more skin perfecting ingredients for a more potent effect. It also contains SPF 15 to protect your skin from UVA & UVB rays.